Computing & Business Studies

Learning Programmes
Please reload

Useful Links

Please reload

Welcome to Computing and Business Studies at St Augustine's. Please follow the links on the right hand side to discover more about our 11-16 courses. Computing is studied in Key Stage 3 in years 7 & 8 by all students within the school.

 

At St Augustine’s we start our Key Stage 4 study in Year 9, where the majority of our students study the Certificate in Digital Applications (CiDA). There is also the opportunity for students in Year 9 to choose to study GCSE Computer Science and GCSE Business Studies as part of the options system in school.

 

Staff

The Computing & Business Studies department is made up of 3 members of staff.

Mr Headley, Subject Leader who teaches Key Stage 3 Computing, Key Stage 4 Computing and is the Business teacher in school.

 

Miss Kinsella who teaches Key Stage 3 Computing & Key Stage 4 Computing and Mr Ainsworth who teaches Key Stage 3 Computing, Key Stage 4 Computing and GCSE Computer Science.

Hardware & Software

At St Augustine’s the students within the Computing department have access to a range of exciting new hardware devices and software packages that can be used within lessons and outside lesson time. These include:

 

  • 3 fully equipped specialist Computing rooms

  • A 3D printer

  • A class set of Arduinos

  • A class set of Raspberry Pis

  • BBC Microbit

 

  • TinkerCAD

  • Adobe suite including Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Photoshop

  • Sonic Pi

  • Scratch

  • Scratch for Arduino

  • Microsoft Office 2013.

  

BTEC I&CT [Currently being completed for the last year by Year 11]

Course explanation 

The current Year 11 students will complete the BTEC Information & Creative Technology (I&CT) qualification. Students will have a Computing lesson twice a week with one of the specialist members of staff within the department. This qualification looks to enhance students’ knowledge and understanding of the ever increasing digital world we live in. Students will complete the following four core units:

 

  • Unit 1 The Online World (Exam)

  • Unit 3 A Digital Portfolio

  • Unit 4 Creating Digital Animation

  • Unit 9 Spreadsheet Development

 

The course is split 75% coursework which is assessed by staff in school, with the remaining 25% (Unit 1) being an examined unit of work.

Successful completion of this course will enable students to gain a level 2 qualification in BTEC Information & Creative Technology. This could help towards gaining entry to a college of the student’s choice but also onto further and higher education or employment within the Computing industry

Certificate in Digital Applications [CiDA]

Throughout Years 9, 10 & 11 students will complete the Certificate in Digital Applications [CiDA] qualification. Students will have a Computing lesson twice a week in Year 10 and 5 times a fortnight in Year 9 with one of the specialist members of staff within the department. This qualification looks to enhance students’ knowledge and understanding of the ever increasing digital world we live in. Students will complete the following two units:

 

Unit 4 Game Making which is worth 75% of the overall course and is a coursework unit and Unit 1 Developing Web products which is a practical exam and makes up the remaining 25% of the qualification.

Successful completion of this course will enable students to gain a level 2 qualification in "Certificate in Digital Applications". This could help towards gaining entry to a college of the student’s choice but also onto further and higher education or employment within the Computing industry

  

GCSE Business Studies [Currently being completed for the last year by Year 11]

At St Augustine’s we follow the WJEC GCSE Business Studies qualification. The course follows a number of key areas and aspects of Business building the students’ knowledge of the subject around areas such as marketing, human resources and finance.

 

As Business Studies is a new subject to students in Year 9, the course starts with students thinking of a business idea and coming up with a concept for their chosen business. Students will go through a series of tasks to come up with a business idea from initial thoughts and ideas through to the finance needed to start the business.

 

Course Content

There are 6 units of work that are covered throughout the course which include:

2.1 Business Framework

2.2 Businesses & their Customers

2.3 Producing Goods & Services

2.4 Human Resource Planning

2.5 The External Environment

2.6 Business Finance & Control

 

The students are assessed in 2 ways, 75% of the overall grade is via an exam which is sat in May / June in year 11 with the remaining 25% being a Controlled Assessment task that is also studied within Year 11.

 

GCSE Business

At St Augustine’s we follow the Eduqas GCSE Business 9-1 qualification. The course follows a number of key areas and aspects of Business building the students’ knowledge of the subject around areas such as marketing, human resources and finance.

 

As Business is a new subject to students in Year 9, the course starts with students thinking of a business idea and coming up with a concept for their chosen business. Students will go through a series of tasks to come up with a business idea from initial thoughts and ideas through to the finance needed to start the business.

 

Course Content

The following areas will be covered throughout Years 9, 10 & 11.

 

Unit 1: Business Activity – Enterprise, Aims & Objectives, Stakeholders, Business Ownership, Goods & Services, Business planning and Business location.

Unit 2: Influences on Business – CAD/CAM, e-commerce, Digital Media, Business ethics, Sustainability, Environmental activity, Tax, International Trade, Multinational Businesses, EU and Consumer Law.

Unit 3: Business operations – Quality, Production methods, Supply chain, Sales process and Customer service.

Unit 4: Finance – Internal & External sources of finance, Revenue, Costs, Profit, Calculate Break-even, cash flow & profit and loss and Analysis of business performance.

Unit 5: Marketing – Market Segmentation, Market research, Marketing mix, USP, Product portfolio, Branding and Product Life Cycle.

Unit 6: Human Resources – Recruitment process, Training, Motivated workforce, Organisation structure and Trade Unions.

 

The GCSE Business course is made up of 2 components which are both assessed by an examination based on the same content.

 

Component 1: Business Dynamics

This is a 2 hour exam [100 marks] which is worth 62.5% of the overall qualification. The exam is made up of a mix of short answer and structured questions based on material covering all of the specification content.

 

Component 2: Business Considerations

This is a 1 hour 30 minute exam [60 marks] which is worth 37.5% of the overall qualification. The exam is made up of questions based on data provided in the exam which covers all of the specification content.

   

GCSE Computer Science

Course Overview

At St Augustine’s we follow the Edexcel GCSE Computer Science 9-1 qualification.  The course follows a number of key areas and aspects of Computer Science building the students’ knowledge of the subject around areas such as problem solving, networking, the internet as well as designing, creating and testing programs built in lessons.  

 

Students will have the opportunity to use a number of different types of software within lessons to build on their knowledge of computer programming and a number of different hardware devices too. The main programming language that is used within lessons and within the Controlled Assessment is Python.

 

Course Content

The course is split into 3 units of work. 2 end of course exams which are worth 80% of the overall grade and a Controlled Assessment task worth 20%. The controlled Assessment task will be completed in the autumn term of Year 11 and the exam in the May / June of year 11.

 

The theory side of the course as outlined above which will be tested in both exams focusses on a number of subject areas, these include:

  • Topic 1: Problem solving

  • Topic 2: Programming

  • Topic 3: Data

  • Topic 4: Computers

  • Topic 5: Communication & the internet

  • Topic 6: The bigger picture

  

Key Stage 3 Computing

In Years 7 & 8 all students study a new and up to date course which incorporates all aspects of the government’s new Computing framework which includes Computer Science, Digital Literacy and Information Technology.

 

Computer Science: Students will gain first-hand experience of creating and using computer programming and computer coding within lessons to design and create successful computer programs.

 

Digital Literacy: Students will be taught the importance of eSafety and how to use the vast and exciting resource of the internet safely and correctly.

 

Information Technology: Students will have the opportunity to improve existing and learn new skills whilst using Information Technology applications within lessons.

 

Students will have the opportunity to use some exciting new technologies within lessons, these include:

 

  • 3 fully equipped specialist Computing rooms

  • A 3D printer

  • A class set of Arduinos

  • A class set of Raspberry Pis

  • BBC Microbit

 

  • TinkerCAD

  • Adobe suite including Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Photoshop

  • Sonic Pi

  • Scratch

  • Scratch for Arduino

  • Microsoft Office 2013.

St Augustine of Canterbury Catholic High School

Boardmans Lane

Blackbrook

St Helens

WA11 9BB

Tel: 01744 678112

Fax: 01744 678113

Email: staugustine@sthelens.org.uk